5:45 p.m. Friday, May 18, 2012
Emi Salquero, a 14-year old McDonough girl did not realize she was alergic to Black Henna and has been permanently scarred by what was supposed to be a temporary tattoo. Emi Salquero received the tattoo in a Gatlinburg, TN t-shirt shop while visiting with her father. It has been six weeks since the tattoo was applied and what remains are blisters and chemical burns in the tattoo's outline.
While most people do not have a severe allergic reaction to henna tattoos, black henna contains a chemical called PPD or Phenylenediamine which causes chemical burns in a small percentage of people. In order to raise awareness about the dangers of Phenylenediamine it was voted Allergen of the Year in 2006 by the American Contact Dermatitis Society.
I would like to wish Emi Salquero a full recovery and warn others about the dangers of black henna.